- Don't be afraid of this mighty gem, it doesn't really require any previous experience, just a few tips and tricks
- Take hiking poles, they'll become your new best friends
- Make sure you drink a lot of water and keep a slow and steady pace. Don't overwork yourself
- Wear your hiking shoes in before you travel.
The Rwenzoris remain relatively unknown and rarely visited, and thus provide an unparalleled opportunity to explore East Africa’s mountain wilderness. The Rwenzoris, also known as the Mountains of the Moon, lie on the border of Uganda and Congo/Zaire. Unlike the other major mountainous regions of Uganda, the Rwenzoris are not volcanic in origin but originated from uplift associated with the formation of the western Rift Valley. The highest point in the Rwenzoris (and the third highest point in Africa) is Margherita Peak (5109m) on Mt Stanley.
Explore Uganda Now
- Sightseeing and/or relaxation
- Light adventure, no previous experience or training required
- A challenge, no previous experience necessary. A moderate level of fitness and preparation are required
- Previous experience and intensive training is required
- Basic: lodging in guest houses, small hotels and/or camping. Mix of private and public transportation
- Standard: Clean and comfortable accommodation and/or well-maintained campsites. Mostly private transportation with occasional public transport when unavoidable.
- Luxury: Hand-picked luxury lodging or pampered campsites. Private and upgraded transportation facilities.